Making React applications play nicely with the WordPress admin involves a number of tricks and workarounds. I’ll cover topics such as integration with the TinyMCE editor, communication with WP’s existing JS libraries, setting up developer tools such as hot module reloading, and persisting data in the WP database.
July 6, 2017 — I’ll explain what a custom post type is and how you can use them the with the plugin called “WP-Views” to create a specific layout of content for your client.
Points of emphasis:
1. What is a custom post type and why would you use one?
2. Advantages of customizing WordPress layouts.
3. Explain by example, how to customize a site by mocking a basic page up with some styling.
4. Emphasize how this can help separate yourself from others who just use what is available in the theme or plugins. A web designer/developer can give the client EXACTLY what they want. (Well, most of the time.)
5. Discuss simplifying the publishing process for the client.
6. No PHP experience needed
June 22, 2017 — Julka Grodel is a Senior Software Engineer at AddThis and has been working with CMSs for over 10 years.
Recently the recommended version of PHP for WordPress increased to PHP7, while still supporting PHP 5.2.4. That’s over 9 years of PHP! PHP7 is the first major release since PHP5 and includes backward incompatible changes that may change the way your code works or throw errors on your customer’s site where you’ve never seen them before. Let’s talk about important changes in variable handing, error handling, changed functions, removed functions and their alternatives, and more.
June 16, 2017 — Сегодня разберемся как создать и восстановить резервную копию базы данных с помощью phpMyAdmin.
June 6, 2017 — Alain is a freelance software engineer and WordPress consultant.
In his talk he presents a case study of wrapping a legacy WordPress site into a scalable architecture, using a combination of existing and custom packages, that provides the following benefits:
– services architecture that lets plugins define their dependencies, with automatically resolved loading order
– auto-wiring dependency injection that allows coding against interfaces instead of implementations
– configuration management that can account for differences in environments
– centralized logging throughout the entire site that can be sent to logging servers
– bus system that handles events and commands without blocking the frontend
– all of this without any noticeable impact on content editors
May 30, 2017 — Esse ano deu o que falar com o lançamento do tão aguardado PHP 7, e junto com ele vieram vários questionamentos a respeito da migração das aplicações rodando com versões abaixo. Esse questionamento ainda é maior quando falamos de um software robusto como o wordpress e que normalmente se utiliza vários plugins que dependem de versões extremamente estáveis do software e da linguagem.
Veja o que há de novidades nessa nova versão do PHP, o que você pode encontrar de obstáculos na migração da sua aplicação, quais extensões foram removidas, incompatibilidades com versões anteriores etc e ainda vamos falar sobre as RFC’s do PHP 7.1!
January 6, 2017 — As more developers move their environments to virtual machines, the need for a good debugging system grows. Amongst the myriad of options we are given, some exceed expectations and make this process as needed as it is easy to put in place.
In this session, I will debug a complete WordPress installation on a Vagrant machine with PhpStorm, Google Chrome and Xdebug, step by step with real project examples so the audience can easily follow along throughout the session.
October 6, 2016 — לאחר יותר מעשור ללא גרסה מאג’ורית של PHP – גרסה 7 מהווה אבן דרך משמעותית ומלהיבה בהסטוריה של השפה. PHP 7 מבטיחה להביא שיפורי ביצועים מרחיקי דרך בשילוב מגוון של יכולות חדשות. בהרצאה זו, זאב יתאר את האבולוציה של הגרסאות המרכזיות של PHP, את סיפור “מאחורי הקלעים” של הולדתה של PHP 7 ואת היכולות המרכזיות החדשות של השפה.