August 11, 2019 — “Copyright infringement is an area of the law that affects all website owners and content creators, yet is widely misunderstood. There are a lot of threats thrown around when an image or text is copied as well as common misconceptions about how to share content. Website owners are often threatened with lawsuits and large fines for using a non-original image or text, even after they seemingly used the content properly.
Because of this, I would like to demystify copyright: to examine and clarify copyright infringement.
Some of the topics I will cover include:
– What is the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) and how it affects content creators and website owners
– Distinguishing what is and is not copyrightable
– Knowing your rights
– What content you can and cannot use
– What to do if your content has been stolen
– What to do if someone has filed a DMCA notice (or threatened a lawsuit) against you
I am excited to share what I have learned working in copyright infringement, so that WordPress users can not only add content to their sites with confidence, but also protect what they have created under copyright law.”