November 3, 2020 — There are many ways to edit the look and functionality of a website. You could use an all-in-one solution such as page-builders. While this is still a good solution for building complex websites in a short amount of time, a better solution may be to use a child theme. I want to share my process for creating a child theme and go through a few examples of some typical things I do with child themes that has lowered my dependency on page-builders and plugins. I’ll also do my best to explain why you may want to create a child theme as well.
June 20, 2019 — April 5, 2019, 9 am, University Center, College of the Canyons — With the new Gutenberg editor, WordPress has created a new format with blocks that do a lot of what page builders have traditionally offered. So why would anyone still want to use a page builder? Jason will talk about:
– The biggest difference between Elementor and Gutenberg and why I use Elementor for the foreseeable future;
– The advantages and disadvantages of using my favorite page builder – Elementor (free version). Other page builders are similar;
– How Elementor works with themes and which one should be used;
– Using free plugins to extend Elementor;
– A quick overview of how to use Elementor; and
– Build a quick example of a home page