June 10, 2019
WordPress 5.0 brings with it a new default theme called TwentyNineteen which is the first “official” theme to be distributed with full and native support for the new core block editing experience.
Using this theme as a guide, let’s take a deeper dive into:
– What customizations are available within each of the native blocks.
– Examples of other customizations that are possible with additional SASS/ CSS rules. (This includes a review of the new block-level classes.)
– Manipulating the position and layout of a block on the page using flexbox and CSS Grid.
– Where to find additional block collections and how to install them.
– Some possibilities of making additional custom blocks without code. (ACF, Carbon Fields and other generators.)
This talk is geared for those with beginning or intermediate web development skills. Ideal audience members will have some knowledge of WordPress and a willingness to make small alterations to a child theme’s CSS and functions.php files.
This talk is also NOT geared toward a discussion of how to create a “gutenblock” from scratch. (The topic has been covered quite a bit more in-depth by people much smarter than me. =-] )