March 9, 2023 — Several WordPress community theme developers and designers come together to discuss the Community Themes Initiative. The goal was to lay the groundwork and hash out ideas around building block themes collaboratively to submit to the official WordPress theme directory.
February 14, 2023 — In January 2023, a few community members from the FSE Outreach Program gathered to discuss various upcoming features specific to Block Themers:
– Applying local styles globally: push block design changes from post/template editor to global styles.
– Inputs for Custom CSS: add custom CSS from the site editor Styles panel.
– Exploring the Style Book: show all blocks (including third-party) in site editor, making it easier to test everything when designing.
– Edit block style variations: edit (not yet create) existing block styles of a theme from the Styles panel.
December 2, 2022 — In this Hallway Hangout, we’ll have a casual chat about some of the Block Theme development-related features that are under active development. This will be an open conversation via Zoom. Expect plenty of healthy conversation, question and answers, and maybe even a demo or two.
September 15, 2022 — What goes into deciding which font(s) to use? Where might you get your fonts? How do you hook your font up within a block theme? What are variable fonts, and should you use them?
In this workshop we will explore:
– Some considerations for choosing a font
– Where to find fonts and how to download and convert to proper formats
– A brief overview of variable fonts and when to consider using them
– How to hook up a font in a block theme (hint: theme.json)
– Discuss the future of fonts in WordPress full site editing
August 19, 2022 — In Block Theme Builders: Design in Figma, we got familiar with Figma, made a copy of the Theme Template, made it our own, and many of you asked: how do I make this into a theme? Well, let’s do it!
Join us, as we take our Figma design file and convert it into a block theme. We’ll show you how to set up colors, typography and maybe some more (if we have time).
August 10, 2022 — Are you a theme builder looking to transition to the new era of block themes? Or maybe you’re new to Figma and curious about how you might go from zero to hero with your block theme design? Join us!
Some areas we’ll explore:
A brief overview of Figma and why you might use it.
Use the WordPress.org Figma community’s Theme Template file to kickstart your block theme design.
Discuss considerations for block theme designs and best practices.
In this workshop, we will work exclusively in Figma. However, there will likely be a follow-up workshop where we convert our Figma Block Theme prototype into the workings of a Block Theme. Stay tuned.
We’ll leave ample time for questions and discussions. I hope to see your smiling faces!